I have joined a new challenge! Sponsored by Amy from Great Cakes Soapworks, a new soaping challenge program has begun! Each month, a soaping technique will be demonstrated and those that are willing to register (for a small fee) can display their attempts on a link up post. Those participating can then vote on a “winner.” The winner will win a prize! (a different prize for each technique/challenge from what I understand.)
Anyway, this month’s challenge is the peacock swirl. My attempt I documented through video and have posted on youtube (here).
I made a small batch using a shoebox because I figured I would probably screw it up at least once– and I did! If I would have used my regular wooden slab mold, the swirl may have been easier to do, but I didn’t want to waste all of the ingredients if I had to remake the soap over and over.
To start with, I used a slow moving recipe of Olive oil, coconut oil, palm oil, soybean oil, and castor oil. I blended to emulsion and divided my raw soap batter into 5 condiment bottles. For colors I chose black oxide, electric bubble gum pink pigment, soft green mica, ultramarine violet, and titanium dioxide. The fragrance was a lavender essential oil.
I added the colors and EO to the bottles. After adding the lids, shook them up and tried to make sure they were thoroughly colored. I had lined a shoebox to use as my mold so quickly zig zagged my soap into the mold alternating the colors. Instead of putting a layer of uncolored soap on the bottom of the mold as a base, I just decided to swirl the whole thing! Yay!
When I had emptied all of the bottles, I tamped down the mold (gently) and used a chopstick to create the “Peacock Swirl.” Now, for my first batch, I did screw up the swirl a bit. I did ok with the initial drawing the chopstick down through the soap, pulling out and starting at the top again for each row. I screwed up at the “s” part. Instead of starting at the top of the mold for each “s” row, I alternated from top to bottom. It still looked pretty but not like a peacock swirl should. Ultimately, it didn’t matter since I dropped the soap on the countertop the next day, ruining it. BOOOOOO!
So I made another batch with the same recipe, EO, and colorants. I videoed the cutting of that soap and have the finished photos of the second batch to show. Overall, the soap came out good. I love this technique and will use it again in the future! Will definitely need a better mold though– I really stink at measuring and cutting my soaps using a ruler!
Peacock Swirl soap beveled and trimmed.
Love to see the variation in swirling with this technique
Another view of the variation of swirls
Love how the swirl goes through the entire soap
Love the pink in this one
I love the lavender EO. I didn’t put in a lot so it’s a light fragrance of lavender. Also, there are a few tiny little beads of glycerin on the tops which I washed away after taking the photos. I used glycerin to mix my colors and that often happens when I do that. The soaps are still fairly soft– partially due to the recipe and partially due to the high humidity up here. I was afraid to wash them prior to taking pics and ruin them!
I also will bevel and trim the remaining soaps when they have sufficiently hardened. Right now, I’ve put them all back on the curing rack and I won’t touch them for another 4-6 weeks! Do not want to ruin another batch!
Read Full Post »