I joined in on a soaping challenge for this year. This challenge is sponsored by Amanda from Greatcakes Soapworks. (visit Amanda here) For a few weeks we will be making different soaps with a variety of techniques and then posting our results. I decided to participate and I hope to learn a lot! Another reason to make soap! (As if I needed another reason, right?
The first week of the challenge is to complete a tiger stripe pattern in your soap. I’ve seen this technique before, but not tried it myself. I was pretty excited! Picked out my fragrance and the colorants I wanted to use. Started soaping last night and mixed my lye and oils separately in bowls and while waiting for them to cool I measured out my fragrance and the colorants. Amanda mentioned about using micas as colorants. i don’t have many that are good with CP soap but decided to use cellini red which I knew would morph into a peachy red color and I also chose aqua pearl mica since it would morph into a pale green. As a result, the striping would be in peach and green. I thought that would be perfect with my FO, mango. Well, I added the lye to my oils, and stick blended briefly just enough to emulsify the mixture. I wanted the soap batter to be thin so I would have plenty of time to work with the stripes.
Ok, so I poured the premeasured fragrance into the mixture and almost immediately the batter seized! Rock hard! So, in a panic I broke up the mass with a spoon and then used the stick blender as best I could to break up the soap at least enough so I could get it into the mold. After battling for a few minutes, I finally plopped the mess into the mold and hoped for the best.
I still wanted to try the tiger stripe pattern so I dug through my fragrances. I found a floral one but was concerned it would speed up trace and not give me enough time to do my patterning. Oh, well I only had so many fragrances to choose from and I had already prepared the colorants and I wanted the FO to go with the colors.
Re mixed everything and prepared a new mold. I added the fragrance, stirring and quickly split the batter evenly. As quick as I could, I poured the soap batter into the molds, a line down the middle one color after the other effectively layering each color over and over. The fragrance did seem to speed up trace a bit but I was able to get all of the soap into the mold without too much difficulty.
I wasn’t able to take pics of the process since my “photographer” was putting the kiddos to bed while I was working. I have some after pics though:
I think it came out well for a first attempt! Looking forward to the next challenge though I should probably order some new FOs and colorants!